One of the features of my sojourn in Houston is unlimited access to digital cable television. Some tentative conclusions:
- For the most part, the Tour de France is pretty dull. The sprints are exciting, and a few of the climbs have some drama, but that comes out to about six total hours of interesting television out of something like 70 hours of coverage. All the same, it's better than Regis and Kelly.
- The Daily Show isn't nearly as good as people have been telling me. I mean, it's kind of funny some of the time, but for the most part only the first three or four minutes are worth watching.
- There's no point in paying for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz!, Encore, or any other movie channel.
- My Hero is lousy, but somehow endearing.
- Every episode of American Chopper is exactly the same.
- There is no time of day at which some channel isn't showing some episode of some flavor of Law & Order.